Friday, September 19, 2008

The Big Day!!!

So before I give you the rundown on the whole day's events, I thought I would just post a bunch of pictures. Since most of you won't care to read the birth story I thought I would put the important stuff first. The rest is more just for those who are interested and for my "journal keeping" sake.

Sloan is about the cutest thing I have ever seen. I know I am slightly biased, but I think even if she wasn't mine I would still think she is the most beautiful thing ever. Here are a bunch of the millions of pictures I have taken.

Right before I went to the hospital. Big belly with a big baby in it!

Lee, a very proud and loving father!

Sloan going home from the hospital.


Very relaxed at home in her crib.


Odie really enjoys the boppy. Oh, and for those of you that are wondering, I still love him just as much!



Sloan's first bath.


I mean could she possibly be any cuter???

So here is the story...

I was scheduled to go to the hospital on Sunday the 14th to get induced. That morning I woke up and was having some contractions. They were slightly stronger and definitely more consistent than they had been in the past. I made strawberry waffles and Lee and I kind of hung out all day. I didn't have to go to the hospital until 7pm, so we passed the time by watching movies. Throughout the day my contractions were getting a lot stronger and closer together. When my contractions were about 7 min apart I felt I needed to go to the hospital, but we decided to wait until our 7pm appointment. We got everything together and headed off to the hospital about 6:45pm. When I got to the hospital they admitted me and checked me and I was dilated to a 3. I was supposed to get cervigel (I think that is what it is) to soften my cervix and then I was to get induced on Monday morning as that is when my doctor would be on call. The on call doctor for the night, Dr. Hardy, thought I was looking good and decided to wait and see what happened. Well my contractions got stronger and stronger. At 11:45pm I had a really strong contraction and felt a pop and whoosh, my water broke. After that my contractions started getting really strong. I asked for my epidural, but they told me my contractions although strong were still about 7 min apart so I needed to wait. Looking back this was my biggest mistake, I should have said nope, I want it now. Instead I waited and waited and my contractions got more intense and more intense. I really have NEVER felt pain like this before. Finally at about 2:30am they checked me again and I was at a 6 (I could have told them that). The anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural. I was pretty scared, but the doctor did an awesome job. And let's face it, at that point they could have stuck a pitchfork in my back and I would have been okay with it as long as it took away the pain. It was almost instantly that the medicine kicked in and man, that was an amazing moment. To anyone that is questioning the epidural I say get it, it is definitely a life saver! It wasn't much longer after that that I started getting an intense urge to push. I knew the contractions would hurt, but I didn't even think about how badly this part hurt. At about 3:15am the nurse had me start to push and gave me a mirror to give me some motivation (which by the way I said I would never do, but it really did help). The first thing the nurse said was "your baby has a LOT of hair." Sure enough when they brought out the mirror that is about all I could see. I only pushed with the nurse for about 15 min and she called in the doctor. The doctor had me push and I could feel the head starting to come out. At this point all I knew was I needed to make this really strange feeling go away so I decided to just push as hard and as long as I possibly could because this was the only way I could make it go away. Everything during the night is slightly fuzzy to me as it was all just really intense. However I do vividly remember this moment. Lee was holding my hand and my leg and every time I pushed he would join me. He did this a few times and I looked at him and said "Lee, stop pushing with me...I need you and if you keep holding your breath like that you are going to pass out." For those that know my husband he is really weary with blood and needles so I am surprised he had made it to that point without fainting. He did really well though and was so supportive and I couldn't have done it without him. He even cut her cord which he said he wasn't going to be able to do. Anyway, I pushed for about 30 min and at 4:04am Sloan was here. She was 9 punds and 21 3/4 inches long. They put her on my belly and it was amazing. I was so glad it was over and I could finally meet our beautiful little girl.

Sloan is amazing and I love her more than I ever imagined I could. All in all my birth experience was good (minus getting the epidural so late in the game). I really prepared for the worst and was amazingly surprised that although child birth was the most intense, painful and tiring experience I have ever had, it wasn't as bad as I had built it up to be. And I will say it now for the record that I would totally do it again. I am so excited to be a mom and Lee has been an amazing dad. I can't wait for all my experiences to come! I am so grateful for this experience, and I thank Heavenly Father every day for giving us this amazing, beautiful, healthy little gift!!!

9 comments:

Shalice said...

Okay....she is so GORGEOUS!! She looks like Ava to me, but with really dark hair. That towel picture could not be cuter. I am loving her through pictures...and don't worry - I did try to smell the computer screen to see if I could get a whiff of the "newborn smell". Didn't work...guess I better get a plane ticket out there, and quick!!

I love her and want to hold her! She is so beautiful - you did so good. I want more pictures tomorrow please :)

Shalice said...

Oh, and BTW - I love the nursing pad on the table in the last picture. I always leave those things everywhere!

Shaundee said...

Finally I get to see more of her! I agree...the picture in the towel with the binki is PERFECTION!!! She could not be more beautiful. More pics' please!!!! I am addicted now!! You did an amazing job and continue to impress me with how you are handling everything. You are much better at this then I was with Lyza! I was a complete mess. I can't wait until I can kiss her all over. Maybe you need to come home sooner!

So proud of you...Love you!

Clint and Jinger Miller said...

Congratulations!!! Its about time you joined the parents club. Hope you are healing well and resting when the baby is asleep. She is so precious!!!

Jon, Kaylene and Laila said...

Shar, she is SOOOO CUTE! I am dying, I want so squeeze her. Im so proud of you, you were a trooper! More pics please, you look great and look like a natural as well my friend!! love ya and Lee you look like a natural too!

NatBug said...

Sharielle, that was a great post! It made me tear up. I am so happy for you, and I am so glad that you had such a good experience. And I feel you, the epidural is the best!!! Anyways, Sloan is adorable and I just love the name. CONGRATS!!!

Kellie said...

Shar, you are amazing! I'm glad everything went so well for you.
I want to squeeze her now please!

lou,chase, and marley said...

i agree she is darling! you have a beautiful baby! congrats and you have given me hope that i can get though this!! i am so happy that everything went great!!

Linzz said...

Congrats Sharielle she is such a cutie. I am with you, giving birth wasnt as scary as I thought it would be and I would do it again tomorrow if I could. So fun I am so happy for you guys. This is your old friend Lindsey Lee (Smith)